angelak

Soft Yarn

Hi everyone!

I live in an area where there I am limited to Hobby Lobby and Michaels for yarn, and it often feels like my yarn selection is, well, rather limited. While I could purchase yarn online, I generally like to feel my yarn first because if it feels scratchy/hard, I find it hard to work with. Since I live in a generally warm climate, I tend to stick to Medium to Chunky yarns, but I'm open to other yarn as well. I was hoping that the group may be able to give me some brand suggestions to work with. Thanks in advance for your help!

Ooooh, that is tough. I'll say that I haven't actually bought yarn-yarn in about 5 years, because I spin, but I have the same problem with spinning fiber. If you can't get great options here (though I suspect some people have opinions), you could look at fiber content. Some fibers are softer than others. This article outlines the science & stuff behind it: http://overtherainbowyarn.com/yarn-microns-and-softness/

It doesn't list specific brands, but it can help you decide what you may be looking for (or a place to start?). I swear I used to get sample cards (cards with little pieces of yarn attached so you could see color/feel/etc) but I haven't seen many indie dyers doing them. (This was back in the early 2000s thought and lots has changed!)

Thanks Corrie! The article helped a lot as it showed me how yarns are made and gave me some perspective!

6 hours ago, angelak said:

Thanks Corrie! The article helped a lot as it showed me how yarns are made and gave me some perspective!

Yay!!! So glad it helped!