craftysnaphappymama

Do you carry a sketchbook?

I wish when I was young I had carried a sketchbook. I have always loved to draw. Now I keep a tiny one in my purse all the time. I keep a 5x8 nearby too and use it the most. I have filled two books so far and almost done with a third. I love to use watercolors and markers but dabble with acrylic and pencils as well. I am not much into collage so my pages are flat until I participate in an online challenge that includes collage. 

Want to share some of your pages? Here is some of mine.

you can see more on instagram: asketchylady 

D130C155-3BF4-4CD9-AAA6-CD990591C885.jpeg

997BC7E8-B1CC-4AA6-BA27-B08F119599D8.jpeg

B283B879-C63C-44EB-B235-D62A9D816ECE.jpeg

8AC536F5-06B7-4A12-8454-BC180C30AE41.jpeg

22D9B0EA-CB04-4380-863C-DE654EAF8A28.jpeg

I don't carry a sketch book (used to, work at home now, so time out of the house is spent doing things that inhibit sketching) but love your stuff!

I love your work!

This is something I'd love to get into the habit of, and I have a couple of little ones that would be easy to carry. I never seem to manage to remember, though! I've been planning to stash some supplies in my camera bag, since I recently got a new bag that has extra room. And if I stash everything in a ziploc bag, it won't be harmed by sharing a compartment with the dog's portable water bowl 😃

I carry a notebook that I very occasionally draw in (mostly sketching out diagrams of what I'm going to make), but you're making me want to get a smaller pallet and carry my watercolors around with me!

Posted (edited)

I have some empty half pans coming in the mail and an empty Altoids tin waiting to be filled up with watercolors. (It says here you can fit 14 of them in an Altoids tin -- woohoo!) Now I just need to get over the awkwardness of sketching out in public. In some ways it would possibly less intimidating to wander in public with no pants on 😂 but hopefully the awkwardness will wear off quickly once I've actually done it.

Edited by daisywreath

Posted (edited)

@Miriam Felton Those look wonderful!

My little travel watercolor kit is assembled, and I took it out with me yesterday. I went up to Berlin, Ohio with my husband to go to Zinck's (fabric store with incredibly good prices and tons of fabric.)  We stopped in Millersburg (edit - I thought that was Millersburg but no, it was actually Berlin). and poked around in all the little touristy shops for a while, then spent some time sketching while my husband went into an antique store.  

It was definitely challenging, and I had to keep reminding myself that it's okay to be terrible at this, and that I won't get better without practice. I haven't used watercolor much for quite a while other than as a background wash to draw over, and I tend to draw slowly, so a quick sketch in a very busy area was tough. Many liberties were taken to simplify the sketch -- there were zillions of people and cars and horses with buggies going by.

All I had was a medium-ish waterbrush -- I need to pack a small one as well next time.

2019-06-23-wc-palette-resized.jpg

2019-06-22-millersburg-resized.jpg

Edited by daisywreath

20 hours ago, daisywreath said:

My little travel watercolor kit is assembled, and I took it out with me yesterday. I went up to Berlin, Ohio with my husband to go to Zinck's (fabric store with incredibly good prices and tons of fabric.)  We stopped in Millersburg (edit - I thought that was Millersburg but no, it was actually Berlin). and poked around in all the little touristy shops for a while, then spent some time sketching while my husband went into an antique store.  

It was definitely challenging, and I had to keep reminding myself that it's okay to be terrible at this, and that I won't get better without practice. I haven't used watercolor much for quite a while other than as a background wash to draw over, and I tend to draw slowly, so a quick sketch in a very busy area was tough. Many liberties were taken to simplify the sketch -- there were zillions of people and cars and horses with buggies going by.

All I had was a medium-ish waterbrush -- I need to pack a small one as well next time.

I love everything about this!!!!!! 🙂

On 6/23/2019 at 10:24 AM, daisywreath said:

I love it! It gets easy each time.

On 6/18/2019 at 7:21 PM, Miriam Felton said:

If you're looking for some amazing handmade watercolors, I recommend both https://www.caseformaking.com/ and https://www.miezewatercolor.com/ who is local to me. I took a class from her and her watercolors are made with lavender EO and honey. So they smell lovely when you use them!

I will check out your links. Thanks.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:58 AM, Miriam Felton said:

I carry a notebook that I very occasionally draw in (mostly sketching out diagrams of what I'm going to make), but you're making me want to get a smaller pallet and carry my watercolors around with me!

I bought a journal at target just for the fabric case it came in with a zipper pocket. I put my dylusions sketchbook in it and it fits perfect. I then use a rubber band to hold my small watercolor palette on the front. It’s like 6x9.

@craftysnaphappymama, I love the giraffe! I had no idea one could do such small, detailed works with watercolours.

So the interesting thing about me (one of them...) is that I keep watercolour tins & brushes & paper around the house as staples, like other folks keep bread or pasta. Well, no, that’s not the interesting thing. Here: Despite always always having paints and brushes around (I have no children) I do not paint— I’ve always thought I would be terrible at it, because “I can’t draw” etc. I know from taking a couple of sketch classes in college and from doing one of those painting workshops that it’s not that I can’t, it is more that I don’t know how! 

It’s just odd that I don’t paint and yet I feel as though I always have to have the watercolours in my house. If I give them to someone (usually a kid who visits), I find myself picking up a new tin at Michael’s fairly soon after. Yet, I never use them!

Maybe I will get out my paints this afternoon and just do a bit of playing. I mean, I don’t have to do a still life with our bowl of peaches and pears, for goodness’ sake. I can just do the equivalent of “interpretive dance”, just to take the pressure off! And to have fun. And play with colours. We’ll see. But I always love looking at what other folks paint.

OK, who else has pictures to share? 🙂

@Sandi Wiseheart Part of what kept/keeps me from playing around with watercolor as much as I'd like to is my conviction that I'm totally unable to paint. This past week or two I've used them more than in the past year total, I think. A few years ago I spent a bit of time practicing with them, but I let myself get in the habit of only getting them out when I wanted a background wash.  I am definitely not very good with them at this point, but hopefully that will improve with practice!

Here's what I've done over the past week or so. Only the last of these was done out in the open -- the others were done from photos I've taken recently.  That last one was really hard -- I had difficulties with perspective and the relative sizes of the building and the trees, and I badly misplaced the horizon line. My hand was more shaky than usual, too, which didn't help. My hand is a little messed up due to various injuries, and I probably had pre-tired it by holding the dog's leash in that hand -- I'd stopped to do a little sketching in the middle of walking Rosie this morning.

Stuff I'd like to add to my portable watercolor kit soon: A water brush that doesn't leak (or a pocket brush/cut-off regular brush and a very lightweight water container) and something to put between the pages in the sketchbook so still-damp paint doesn't get blotches on the opposite page like what happened this morning after I closed it and crammed it back into the bag. Toward the end Rosie had started baying at a couple of dogs in a nearby yard (they had reportedly insulted her grievously) and I was trying to get moving pretty quickly so as not to annoy everyone in the neighborhood with the full-on Hound Voice.

(I eventually managed to get Google to disclose that my unidentified tree bits in the first one are immature seed pods from a tulip magnolia. I found them on the sidewalk last week and brought them home to draw them.)

2019-06-24-grapevine-bits-resized.jpg

2019-06-25-dyers-woad-resized.jpg

2019-06-29-more-vines-resized.jpg

2019-06-30-schoolyard-resized.jpg

On 6/28/2019 at 9:19 AM, Sandi Wiseheart said:

@craftysnaphappymama, I love the giraffe! I had no idea one could do such small, detailed works with watercolours.

So the interesting thing about me (one of them...) is that I keep watercolour tins & brushes & paper around the house as staples, like other folks keep bread or pasta. Well, no, that’s not the interesting thing. Here: Despite always always having paints and brushes around (I have no children) I do not paint— I’ve always thought I would be terrible at it, because “I can’t draw” etc. I know from taking a couple of sketch classes in college and from doing one of those painting workshops that it’s not that I can’t, it is more that I don’t know how! 

It’s just odd that I don’t paint and yet I feel as though I always have to have the watercolours in my house. If I give them to someone (usually a kid who visits), I find myself picking up a new tin at Michael’s fairly soon after. Yet, I never use them!

Maybe I will get out my paints this afternoon and just do a bit of playing. I mean, I don’t have to do a still life with our bowl of peaches and pears, for goodness’ sake. I can just do the equivalent of “interpretive dance”, just to take the pressure off! And to have fun. And play with colours. We’ll see. But I always love looking at what other folks paint.

OK, who else has pictures to share? 🙂

Oh thanks. The giraffe and some others are with alcohol markers and paint pens. 🙂 

everyone is artistic it it just takes practice. 

Go to YouTube and find easy watercolor tutorials step by step and go for it!

Here is some of my recent work.

I trade ATC cards that are 2.5 x 3.5 cards with others around the world at www.atcsforall.com. It is fun I have have binders full of other peoples art.

i recently decided to start using gouache (opaque water color) and love how vibrant it is!

I go to a weekly free community art workshop and take a watercolor class.  We all try to get a group pic of the art we made together. Last week was turtles.

im working on a small gallery showing for January 2020. It will be just portraits so I started a 12x12 canvas with acrylic. 

A fantastic app I use fo4 portraits is Sktchy. 

A5A82845-50AF-41A2-82D8-8790016C45F6.jpeg

18F16515-7EC6-4AAF-BDB6-BAED711B5240.jpeg

65DD31EA-0C53-4EF6-98F4-515F30BC2F3E.jpeg

3D65D54A-17B1-40A1-AE85-2FB82C511D86.jpeg

0DA8F0C9-87AB-4B96-B2F2-EC9C02F80B53.jpeg

00AC3855-B2B7-4706-BDE9-2BD14476B7F8.jpeg

71FCE098-A662-40C2-B1F3-315C59AF03CF.jpeg

F99580F3-4D69-4FB8-A026-D6A4C01DBAB6.jpeg

I love your work here! I am a member of ATCs4all, although, I haven't traded in awhile. You have inspired me to go back and give it a look again.