Corrie

Fixing a thing.

Hey gang! 

I was thinking one of my fellow crafty adventures may actually have a good answer to this question .  I have a pair of overalls and the top part of the overalls always seems to flip over. (See sad duckface photo). 

I’d love it to lay flat but no matter how many times I iron it it always  flips back up.  Any thoughts on a good fix? 

9B0361B9-DB75-4204-90F8-CE81B22D46B5.jpeg

A7D53668-38D3-4FD2-8400-4614123C356A.jpeg

3 hours ago, daisywreath said:

Some kind of fusible thing between the bib and the facing (not sure if that's the right word), maybe? My ma swore by this stuff for hems. There's a heavier version if that seems too lightweight.

This might be a great solution! I’ll get some and try it & report back! Thank YOU!!!!!! 🎉🎉🎉

I would probably try matching thread and hemstitches to hold that down.  If the thread matches the color, and you just take small stitches that don't really go through the fabric, it shouldn't show on the front.

I am going to try the fusible tape first because my "stitching" is limited to sewing myself to my machine. However, if it doesn't work, I'll try @Kim Werker and @KirstenG.'s suggestions!  My only concern is I am *NOT* a sewer - I can't even begin to show how terrible I am at it (I think that's a reason I'm giving up weaving, because I'm tired of table runners/scarves) and I've tried for years (we're talking since I was 8). 

(Truth: my first thought was "Maybe I'll just cut off the extra fabric?") 

Fabric glue. Not the wussy kind they use for sticking on applique bits before you sew them, but actual glue. There are some kinds where, if you apply thinly and lightly, it leaves the fabric still flexible. 

I myself would sew it down. 

Speaking as the person who has spent the past few days hand-sewing All The Things because Reasons and Because Altering Clothing For The Family Reunion Is Not For Wusses or Whiners. 

ALL THE THINGS

(I might be a bit bouncy/punchy. I have to leave the house? Get up? Get up, I think...at 4 AM.  Sandi is not a morning person, Sandi is a night person. Sandi will try to go to bed early. WHICH means that Sandi has about 3-4 hours left to complete her packing for the trip out tomorrow AM. 

I’m in that really tired, I’ve overthought this WAY too much, does any of this really matter? space.  I need to sharpen up just long enough to toss everything in some sort of bag, make sure The List is checked off, and then I can go sit and stare for a while.

LOVE the overalls, btw! I wear them when I have them as much as possible.  😎❤️🌷

Thanks @Sandi Wiseheart! I still haven't gotten my butt to the store to get the fusible tape stuff mentioned above, so I may get glue and try it if the other stuff doesn't hold. 

I need to mend a lot of stuff, and need to have a conversation with myself about how I spend my own time. 😉

I am terrible about mending things. I don't know why I resist it so much -- when I finally knuckle down and do it, it feels awesome to have Fixed Stuff. But my favorite shorts (hiking shorts with many pockets) have been missing the button for over a year, and I just wear a belt with them instead to keep them closed. 

17 hours ago, daisywreath said:

I am terrible about mending things. I don't know why I resist it so much -- when I finally knuckle down and do it, it feels awesome to have Fixed Stuff. But my favorite shorts (hiking shorts with many pockets) have been missing the button for over a year, and I just wear a belt with them instead to keep them closed. 

THIS! I have things to mend. I have things I would wear the HECK out of. I....do not fix them because I don't wanna. (Like a four year old who doesn't to brush their teeth before bed. I just don't wanna). 

17 hours ago, Corrie said:

THIS! I have things to mend. I have things I would wear the HECK out of. I....do not fix them because I don't wanna. (Like a four year old who doesn't to brush their teeth before bed. I just don't wanna). 

So. If people have Things to Mend, we could have a little Mending Support Group...I would be up for it. I know how to mend and alter most of the basics, plus some of the advanced bits; however, I’ve been wanting to update/upgrade my skills because I am quite sure there are better ways to do at least a few things. I know there are tons of videos online; I’ve been meaning to take the time to watch some of them. We don’t have to commit to anything—certainly NOT “I’m going to clear out ALL THE THINGS in my mending basket by September” (unless you want to?!) but maybe “I want to fix this one pair of pants” or whatever. Anyone interested?

ALSO: l’m interested in learning the sashiko form of mending holes in fabric. (I’ve seen it work really well for denim fabric; I wonder if it works as well with other sorts of garments?) Anyone know this method?

I clearly am getting the itch to teach/learn things this summer. No kids, entire town vanishing off to cottage country, no family nearby...and one can only spend so much time being virtuous and weeding, organizing, cleaning out closets and the basement, I mean...REALLY. 😉 

On 6/24/2019 at 10:10 AM, Corrie said:

I need to mend a lot of stuff, and need to have a conversation with myself about how I spend my own time. 😉

A M E N.

What can we as a group do to help each other with this? Because I guarantee you we are not the only two with this problema. 

OK, so....we know we want some sort of group thing for this: Mending Support. First, should we broaden it to Sewing Clothes in general, because it’s all about making a functional, wearable, cute wardrobe, right? Even if it is stuff we already have...especially if it is stuff we already have!

What sort of group thing would be helpful? I could ask Kim how to set up something here—a separate forum thread? Some weekly or whatever check-in thing? What kind of support do we need? (Ha! Loaded question.)

Maybe I will fetch @KimWerker and we can have her input about what is possible. I’m OK with organizing and corralling folks...but I need input: what sort of thing do folks want/need? 

5 minutes ago, Sandi Wiseheart said:

OK, so....we know we want some sort of group thing for this: Mending Support. First, should we broaden it to Sewing Clothes in general, because it’s all about making a functional, wearable, cute wardrobe, right? Even if it is stuff we already have...especially if it is stuff we already have!

What sort of group thing would be helpful? I could ask Kim how to set up something here—a separate forum thread? Some weekly or whatever check-in thing? What kind of support do we need? (Ha! Loaded question.)

Maybe I will fetch @KimWerker and we can have her input about what is possible. I’m OK with organizing and corralling folks...but I need input: what sort of thing do folks want/need? 

I personally could just use accountability for actually fixing some things. I even bought pretty thread to do some visible mending (!!!) but haven't done anything yet. 🙂

50 minutes ago, Sandi Wiseheart said:

We have lots of options on here. :) Let me know more about what you want as you figure it out, and then I'll lay out options for how best to make it happen. (I'd lay out possible features, but I'd hate to constrain your thinking by what the site can do – better to figure out what you want then make the site do just that!)

@KimWerker: Thanks! I think we don’t really have a clear view yet. I think this is partly because this is all sort of new: How do folks set up accountability with others online in a meaningful way, a way that isn’t just posting IG photos once a week? I know that I need something more than that, because I completely flail at regular IG updates.  😞 

@Corrie: What if we started a new separate thread for a Sewing/Mending Group? Ask folks to show what they are working on, or what they want to work on, and see if we can build accountability into that? Is that enough, or is there something more we could do, something this cool platform might help with? Multimedia is Good. 

@Sandi Wiseheart I think your reply to @Corrie above is what I meant. :) Why don't you start a thread in the Sewing & Quilting forum, and if it grows into something that would benefit from more/different features, we can add/move/adjust in the best way.

(Note: To tag someone in a post, use the @ symbol, then choose the appropriate name from the list that pops up.)

1 hour ago, Sandi Wiseheart said:

@KimWerker: Thanks! I think we don’t really have a clear view yet. I think this is partly because this is all sort of new: How do folks set up accountability with others online in a meaningful way, a way that isn’t just posting IG photos once a week? I know that I need something more than that, because I completely flail at regular IG updates.  😞 

@Corrie: What if we started a new separate thread for a Sewing/Mending Group? Ask folks to show what they are working on, or what they want to work on, and see if we can build accountability into that? Is that enough, or is there something more we could do, something this cool platform might help with? Multimedia is Good. 

Yes! Let’s do it! 

OK. Turns out Miriam F. started a Mending thread, and posted videos there for mending a hole in a knit fabric as well as mending the toe of a sock. 

I think we’re talking mending clothing, as in sewing repairs. So, OK, I’ll start a new thread. Let’s see what happens!