Open Club  ·  10 members  ·  Free

Book Banter

I'd love to see here some creative projects that have been inspired by what you have read/are reading etc. If you haven't made anything like that yet--what are some ideas that you might have from what you are reading (that includes patterns, prompts, whatever) that you might consider creating with?

I'm gonna to Full Geek here. I'm currently reading a lighthearted romance novel called Well Met. It's about Renaissance Faire. I've never been to one, but it has me thinking loads about cosplay. This coming weekend, we're going to hook up via Facetime with the family we play Dungeons & Dragons with, and some of us are totally dressing up as our characters. In part, I'm thinking about how much the characters in this novel love escaping into their personas, and I think that kind of escape will feel amazing right now.

23 hours ago, Kim Werker said:

I'm gonna to Full Geek here.

Kim, that's how I first started to learn how to Knit--I read Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series and thought to myself, I want to be in a group with knitters! So I started to knit but couldn't find a group...so I made a Meetup group where we created different things and met up a lot. It was loads of fun. I decided though, that I preferred crocheting--but I had only made things with big thick yarn and it was heavy. Maybe at some point I'll have to try again!

On 3/19/2020 at 4:05 PM, Kim Werker said:

This coming weekend, we're going to hook up via Facetime with the family we play Dungeons & Dragons with, and some of us are totally dressing up as our characters.

Y'all are just one small step away from LARPing. Adorable!

I have a book of literary knits, but given that I have to re-learn how to knit every time I do it (Liz Lemon-style), I haven't made anything from it. But I'm now seeking out literary crochet patterns and may take some of those on. I did recently find super cute Frog and Toad patterns and might make those for M.

3 hours ago, Kimberly Hirsh said:

Y'all are just one small step away from LARPing. Adorable!

Oh, I'm, uh, pretty sure we took that step. (Also, we used Zoom not FT, and it was super.)

20200321_130250.thumb.jpg.94b33f9f2f98e951664fe14a340bdd5f.jpg 20200321_132309.thumb.jpg.dd42b3d6b62686e5a6296603741354fc.jpg

That's amazing. I think it's only LARPING if you're running around and stuff. But I've never LARPed, so I'm not sure.

We'll call it half-LARPing, then. If we'd been running around we'd've injured ourselves and each other! One day I'll tell you about the sock full of ball-bearings Greg gave me earlier in our campaign. Because he gets me, and the rogue alter-ego I've created.

3 hours ago, Kim Werker said:

One day I'll tell you about the sock full of ball-bearings Greg gave me earlier in our campaign. Because he gets me, and the rogue alter-ego I've created.

That makes me want to tell you about the time my friend created a whole class for me called Holy Butterfly Valkyrie. (I came up with the name, but he actually made rules to go with it.)

On 3/24/2020 at 10:54 AM, Kim Werker said:

We'll call it half-LARPing, then. If we'd been running around we'd've injured ourselves and each other! One day I'll tell you about the sock full of ball-bearings Greg gave me earlier in our campaign. Because he gets me, and the rogue alter-ego I've created.

Virtual LARP-ing? Is that a thing?