Open Club  ·  19 members  ·  Free

Sewing Clothes
emmajane

T-shirt-a-long

In the next few weeks I "need" to make a couple of tshirts because summer is coming and I have some awesome new fabric. I haven't been procrastinating, exactly, but I also haven't been getting on it. And then I thought: maybe it's time for YOU to make a tshirt as well and maybe you'd like to make one AT THE SAME TIME as me?!

I've made a lot of tshirts, they're simple once you've done it a few times. (They're simple the first time as well.) I'm happy to give opinions on choosing a pattern, and fabric, and even drafting your own pattern, or modifying a pattern (like that time I turned a normal tshirt into a turtleneck).

You interested?!?

Wooohooo!!

Have you got a pattern? Or a fave tshirt? These ones are my “tried and true”. The sewaholic is good for lightweight WOVEN material, the others are good for stretchy KNITS or JERSEY (basically the same diff at this point of our game).DC816484-7CAF-45A4-8A26-D9CA015F15D2.thumb.jpeg.dd9c3120b43dd2dc98c051e0873de1d0.jpeg

have you got fabric? You’ll need about 1-1.5yards or metres depending on the width of the fabric. I’ve got some lush wool. 
429902BD-2B86-4D70-83E0-E88691129C00.thumb.jpeg.311a9b66c139719076d2bef869849d0e.jpeg

have you got a sewing machine, a serger, or plain ol’ needle and thread? If you haven’t got a sewing machine check out Alabama chanin for handstitched tshirt patterns. They’re great! (And have allowed me to make clothing on a airplane.)

show me what you’ve got!

Fab! Let's do this thing! Anyone else in? I'll post my setup steps (hopefully tomorrow).

Posted (edited)

Alright!! I’ve got a few videos that will get us ready for sewing. It’s been literally years since I’ve put anything on YouTube. I’ve done zero edits. And away we go!!

[EDIT! I updated the video links as the processing failed on the first attempt. hopefully they'll all play now!]

choosing the size for your pattern:

tracing your pattern pieces (optional step!!):

Cutting out your pattern pieces:

next up: sewing all the things!! Do you want to know more about sergers vs. sewing machines or should I just dive straight into using a serger?!

Edited by emmajane
I updated the video links as the processing failed on the first attempt. hopefully they'll all play now! (and a second attempt to remove a bad link)

Next set of videos are on their way!

Sewing the shoulder seams:

Sewing the neckline. Doing this step now instead of later means your neckline won't get all stretched out of whack. I got this tip from https://www.thelaststitch.com/. She has great resources (videos, patterns, blog posts) and unlike my videos her camera doesn't bounce off the table when she sews. 🤣

Sewing the side seams:

This video could have probably used a wider angle...🙄 let me know if it doesn't really make sense and I can do-over on the next tshirt I make...

Checking the fit (because you basically have a tshirt now so why wouldn't you pop it on and see how it fits?!)

Thank you so much for this, @emmajane! I lost my momentum to do this (uh, shocker), but this is exactly the kind of project I need, and I'm going to set things up tomorrow or Friday! YAY!

❤️ I've got one more set of steps (hemming)!

Let me know how you get on with the vids. I have plans to make at least another three tshirts. If there was something that wasn't clear the first time and you want a different way of understanding it it'll be super easy for me to (re)do a video.

Or if you just need cheerleading we can try to coordinate to do a hangouty thing if you want!

Last one!! Hemming. I didn’t show you how to fold up the edge of your fabric and pin it in place, but I did show you a few different zig zag stitches and how they shouldn’t break.

I’m wearing my tshirt now and it’s Obvs my favourite thing ever. One down, three more to go (I’ll wash this one first as I was naughty and didn’t pre wash my fabric). Looking forward to any questions you’ve got! 

@emmajane! Thank you for this incredible gift! I've got the shoulder seams sewn on my trial shirt. I managed to dig up scrap fabric so I'm not making my first attempt with stuff I love. Your videos have cleared up so many questions I had! I'll post pics soon. ❤️❤️❤️ 

YAYYYYYY!!!!

If the collar seems fiddly, it's because it is a little bit. You can use your sewing machine to baste the collar edge shut (i.e., fold in half and sew the flap "shut"). This means you're working with TWO edges instead of THREE as attach your collar to your neck hole. The disadvantage of basting is that it will almost definitely be a little too small (it won't stretch to fit the neck hole) so you're more likely to end up with a pucker somewhere.

(The fiddly factor is another reason I like doing it at the beginning before I get tired and less patient.)

Let me know how you get on with the collar! ❤️ 

44 minutes ago, emmajane said:

(The fiddly factor is another reason I like doing it at the beginning before I get tired and less patient.)

I really love this tip! It makes so much sense to do it when the shirt is way more malleable than it will be when the side seams are sewn. And I, too, as you might imagine, am totally comfortable with imperfections. 🙂 Excited to give it a try later today!