Open Club  ·  7 members  ·  Free

The Holidays
Kim Werker

Gift Making

The winter holidays are coming up as we get this club started. Are you making any gifts this year? Share what you're up go, and be sure to include links if you're following patterns or instructions!

6 hours ago, Kim Werker said:

Are you making any gifts this year? 

I spend a lot of time thinking about making gifts, does that count? 😄 I do give a lot of baking over the holidays though.

Last year I didn't do any handmade gifts. The year before, I'd made a batch of blank books, and because I chronically underestimate how long things will take, it was a little stressful getting everything done. So last year I figured I'd take it easy on myself and not make anything.

This year, in a rare burst of temporal awareness 😄 I realized in early September that if I wanted to make anything, I'd best get on with it. I've been doing a lot of knitting, which feels great because I had kind of lost my knitting mojo for a long time. So far I've finished a sweater for my grandson, a hat for my housemate (I love that hat pattern so much!) and a bunch of dishcloths as stocking-stuffer type gifts. (I totally believe that it's worth learning to knit just to be able to make dishcloths.) 

Right now I'm about halfway through a hat for my stepdaughter. A couple of years ago, she was eyeing a hat that looked a lot like this at a fiber festival, and I've been wanting to make her one ever since. I need to do some more spinning to get this done because I definitely don't have half a hat's worth of yarn left. (This is the only handspun thing, so no spinning pressure for anything else.) I have a half-full bobbin spun, and I think another half-full bobbin will make enough yarn to finish it. I'm feeling slightly insecure about it because this yarn is really nowhere near as even as I remembered it being, but I think it'll be okay once it's washed and the stitches relax a bit. Here's what I have so far (well, actually I have a couple more ridges knit now):

2019-11-27-wurm-wip_600.jpg

Edited by daisywreath

I plan on making a lot of gifts - I should probably start that this weekend 😆

Lotion bars in my instant pot in the shape of darth vader heads is one gift. Some ornaments for my mother in law. Some custom bedazzled frames with fun pictures for relatives. Earrings and necklaces for some friends and moms. Scarf holders out of polymer clay for grandmas. Shirts with funny things on them for husband.

Whew - hopefully this thread keeps me motivated!

I plan on knitting a hat for my boyfriend, and making stitch makers/progress keepers for some friends. 

I finished the hat! I'm pretty pleased that it came out an appropriate size and not weirdly big or tiny since I had to adjust the stitch count by a lot due to using a much lighter weight yarn. I still have some qualms over the wonkiness of the yarn, though.

Oh, and I didn't even have to finish spinning more yarn! I finished with 2 grams of yarn to spare.

I'm now working on a squishy cowl that's working up pretty quickly and might do a couple more if all goes well.

2019-12-01-wurm_medium2.jpg

Edited by daisywreath