daisywreath

Any interest in a journal-along project?

I had this idea that it might be fun to do a journal project as a group, so I figured I'd post to see if there was any interest in doing this. Starting in January, maybe? I was thinking I could put together a basic supply list (using diy tools as much as possible to keep the cost down) and a few weekly prompts. If I can figure out a way to set my camera up over my desk I might be able to do a short technique video for each week. (I finally got my camera replaced by Canon - yay! The package was stolen after they sent it back from a warranty repair during the summer, and they kindly sent me a new one since Fedex didn't think it was their problem.)

I'm not an expert at any of this stuff, but reading through the art journal thread it seemed that it might be a good way to get started for anyone who's wanting to try it and feeling stuck.

I would be VERY interested! I know nothing, saw stuff on pinterest, have 4 sketchbooks. I feel ready to make some ugly!

YESSSSS. I'm with @Kuchylm on this – I have books, I know nothing, I would love to follow along and make terrible things so I can figure out how to maybe not make terrible things!

@daisywreath There's a new feature here on the site called "clubs" (I can't change the name! I hate the name, but it does describe the gist) – they're like forums within the forums, and perfect for something like this. You can see a couple in action if you click on the obvious link to it in the menu up at the top of the page.

Let me know if I can help you do this in any way!

Yay! I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested. @Kim Werker The clubs thing sounds perfect - I'll check it out this weekend and see how it works. 

Anyone have any thoughts on timing? I figure after the holidays would be best, but is early January too busy for folks?

This is AWESOME! I've always wanted to do something like this! 

@daisywreath I think that early January goes well with the initial gumption of wanting to be creative, etc--especially since in the past few years @Kim Werker has the Year of Making going. This would be a good outlet for that since the idea is to create/make a bit every day. If you are worried about it being busy--I have a feeling for most of us it is busy any time of the year. 

Those are my thoughts, though--I hope it helps! Looking forward to this!

@daisywreath Absolutely interested in this! I have wanted to start an art journal and get into the habit of daily journaling for ages. This could give me a kickstart on that.

I'm good for starting after the holidays. I'm looking forward to this!

Early January it is then! I'm really excited about this.

I've been putting together a materials list and ended up going on and on and on about paper. I need to edit/reorganize that so it's more coherent. I'm thinking I'll set up the club either this weekend or over the course of next week and add the materials list so folks have time to get together whatever they need/want to use. There won't be a big long list of Stuff You Must Buy, and I'm trying to include as many suggestions as possible for DIY tools to keep costs down for anyone who wants to try this but doesn't have a ton of art supplies.

And I think I have things figured out to be able to set up the camera to shoot video over my desk, so I should be able to do some demo videos along the way.

Okay, the club is set up -- woohoo! It's right here: 

I edited and re-uploaded the supplies list about 5 billion times because I found a ton of errors that I didn't notice until I posted it 😄 

Edited by daisywreath