Kim Werker

Kicking Things Off!

Let's get this zigzag party started!

Here's how things'll work:

• Today, on kick-off day, I've posted the zigzag pattern I designed for our zigzag-along. It's lower down in this thread; just click on the link for the PDF file to download it.
    • (But! You're welcome to use any pattern at all for the crochet-along; no need or pressure to use this one.)
  • I've also posted some tutorials, including on how to figure out how many foundation chains you need to start with for a zigzag project of a particular size. Find them along with the pattern by scrolling further down this thread!
  • If you're on Ravelry, here's the pattern link; if you're making it, please add it to your project list!
  • Please introduce yourself if you haven't already! That's also the thread where we're declaring our projects for the crochet-along.
  • When you share pics of your progress on social media, tag them with #cocamakes (CoCA stands for Community of Creative Adventurers! [No affiliation with Coca Cola; heh; nor with the plant]). I'll be highlighting some posts from participants in my own social media but I'll only be able to find them if you use the hashtag. :)
  • This is a question- and answer-friendly place! All questions are welcome, and all members are encouraged to jump in with answers.
  • All participants are welcome and encouraged to start threads, share lots of pics, etc. The only restrictions are: sharing of copyrighted material is not permitted (i.e., no posting of patterns you did not write yourself), and intolerance of any sort is not permitted.
  • This crochet-along club is part of a larger community. Please poke around in there! We're all about exploring our creativity, embracing the terrible things we make as we experiment and learn new things, and getting to know other creative folks from all over. Our community site is ad- and algorithm-free thanks to the support of our Patreon members. If you love your experience here, please consider becoming one; Patreon members enjoy video chats with me and each other every month, have their own private forum in addition to the main forums, and get monthly updates on all the goings-on behind the scenes.
Edited by Kim Werker

Here's the In Threes zigzag pattern! Click the file link below to download the PDF.

It's a deep zigzag with not-so-pointy points.

I'll be making a scarf in this pattern, worked the long way – so lots and lots of stitches in each row, and only about 7 or 8 rows.

Enjoy!

20191031_115004.jpg

In Threes Scarf.pdf

Here's the tutorial on how to use your gauge to figure out how many foundation chains to start with to make a zigzag project of a particular size. I use the In Threes pattern here, but you can adapt these instructions to any zigzag pattern by substituting its required stitch multiple.

Edited by Kim Werker

Here's a tutorial on how to work stitches into the back loop only for the nifty ribbed texture you see in the swatch photos:

And here's how to make the double decrease (dc3tog) that the pattern uses to create the valleys in the zigzag:

Thanks for putting this all together. I have never made a scarf before and I think it will help me understand the zigzag pattern

41 minutes ago, angelak said:

Thanks for putting this all together. I have never made a scarf before and I think it will help me understand the zigzag pattern

Excellent! Don't hesitate to ask questions. That's what this is all about :)

So I feel like I am doing something wrong. I am doing the blo but it really doesnt look right. I have attached a pic for suggestions. TIA!

20191105_153054.jpg

20191105_153405.jpg

I think that's looking right, @angelak. Keep going for a couple more rows – I suspect it's just that the relief pattern doesn't show up prominently right away. If after three rows or so it's still not looking right to you, snap a photo and we'll figure it out!

I got it going! I'm about to calculate my gauge so I can start the scarf! I started over and adjusted my hook size, which has helped a lot!

20191109_170837.jpg

Thanks @Kim Werker! I think it may be the lighting or the part of yarn used for my swatch, but it is a pink, teal, and orange blend of ILTC yarn. I am glad it is working out so well!