Kim Werker

Notes in Manuscript & Scrivener Targets

I'm writing in Scrivener, which is the best. It lets you set a word-count target and a target date, then it'll break down how many words you need to write each day to hit those targets.

But. But! That's not the tip. The tip I want to share is that I've started taking notes in my manuscript. Because I've decided that those notes should count toward my NaNo word-count total, because they are a part of my novel.

I'm suuuper comfortable writing an absolutely terrible first draft (hello, Mighty Ugly). And part of drafting for me is figuring out how to get from Point A to Point Z and all points in between. So instead of feeling stuck because I've never plotted anything before, I've started just making notes in my shitty manuscript. IT COUNTS.

Edited by Kim Werker

1) Love scrivener - I usually use 750words.com for morning pages and writing then move it over to scrivener. Added bonus is I have to review what I move due t formatting so a quick edit is mandatory, something I'm terrible at. 

2) Count those NOTES! I count everything I write, notes, additions, callouts for later. Especially since I have kids interrupt and I need to stop super abrupt, I leave a note. COUNTS!

@Kim Werker what features do you LOVE in scrivener? And what don't you use at all? 

On 11/3/2019 at 3:07 AM, Kuchylm said:

@Kim Werker what features do you LOVE in scrivener? And what don't you use at all? 

Oooh. I could go on and on.

LOVES: Obvs the word-count targets. I also love that I can keep notes (that I'm not counting toward my word-count) in the same doc as my actual manuscript. I love that if I manage to organize sections of my project well, I can easily reorder them without copy/pasting. And I love the complile feature. I wrote Make It Mighty Ugly in Scrivener, and compiling my finished manuscript was so, so satisfying.

I don't even know what kinds of features I don't use in Scrivener. It does so much. I don't use loads of it.

What features do you use, @Kuchylm? And which don't you?

So far I love the chapters,, obviously the word counts and moving things around as I need. BUT! I do find that I'm not using all of the tools and it's  full utility. I started a walkthrough tutorial and realized I had no idea all the features they mentioned.

Better question is do I need to?

3 hours ago, Kuchylm said:

Better question is do I need to?

Right! This is where I am. Scrivener is so great exactly as I'm using it, even as I don't have a clue about most of its features. But it's working for me! So I'm not worried about the other features.