Corrie

Costume Making

So I recently joined an aerial performance troupe, and our first show is a Halloween Themed show in October. My piece is going to be in a hammock (I shared some examples in this post). I thought it would be fun to do a thread about my costume - mostly because it has to be a surprise, so I can't post on Instagram, and I need a way to keep myself accountable. 

I'm going to go with the old-school Bride of Frankenstein: 

bride of frankenstein halloween GIF

And while my costume has to be way shorter than that (think butt-length), I plan on keeping true to the form (minus some glitter on the costume, because performances demand glitter). 

I've already found the hair tutorial, which I will be trying in the next week or so. I'l share how that goes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE9naY2aLLk

Next up (uh, besides actually working on the routine) is for me to sketch out my costume idea and draft out my supply list! I've got a little less than 2 months to get this done and between the hair, the costume and the actual routine, it's a lot, but I know I can do it! 

How fun! And yes, two months sounds like a long time, but it really isn’t...you can do it, though. We’re here to back you up. Not to hold you up, of course, you have to do that yourself. 😉 

Ok, so I figured out the hair technique I"m going to use, and drafted a fellow dancer who is also a face painter to help with the makeup. Depending on whether or not we have a friend come over this afternoon I *MAY* do a hair test tonight for fun. 

So now I need to buy a nude leotard and nude tights (I was going to go with a unitard, but after looking at myself inverting, I'd prefer that its not a wide swath of nude fabric 🤣🤣). I've got a white pillow case that I'm going to craft into the "dress" (attaching it to the shoulders of the leotard, like @Sandi Wiseheart recommended). My goal is to have the costume done by Oct 1.

The routine is coming along *OK* - I have the full sequence done, and the first time through to music, in front of a group, it went OK (evidently, I'm one of the first to have the whole thing choreographed). I have a few transitions I need to clean up, and then one move I need to either nail in the next 23 days, or find something else (the something else is also cool looking, but a bit easier). 

Ok, my first hair run. I had no Bobby pins, and my hair was slightly damp. So next run will be fully dry, slightly dirty hair, with Bobby pins and I think ONE more bump-it (I’m wearing two stacked on top of the other).

I wish I’d take one mid-put up, because it was very Amy Winehouse cool, and I kinda want to just wear it like this all the time. 
 Also don’t know why it’s turned on it’s side but 🤷🏻‍♀️

DAC8C911-5F0E-4804-8DB0-566D735277F8.jpeg.653d20ebba3cdb55f215445a18c92e6b.jpeg