Jump to content

Sandi Wiseheart

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About Sandi Wiseheart

  • Rank
    Lieutenant Camper

Recent Profile Visitors

63 profile views
  1. Oh, and sooooo... @Kimberly Hirsh: How’s the prep for mermaiding going? I’ve been wondering. 🏊‍♀️🌟🧜🏼‍♀️
  2. My wife practices with a monofin to help develop her ankle/calf strength (competitive swimmer at the provincial level). As a matter of fact, the fin she uses is the one on your monofin info page, bottom right; the bright yellow one. I did a bit of poking, and found that mermaiding and women’s competitive swimming are intertwined—both of the first women to call themselves professional mermaids came from a competition background. (Got this from the link to info on mermaiding above; fascinating!) My fave bit of info is that Daryl Hannah, who of course played a great Hollywood mermaid, had been practicing to “swim like a mermaid”—ankles fastened together so both feet act as a single driving force—since she was an elementary school kid. On the movie set, she could swim so fast with the mermaid monofin tail that her security divers and camerafolks could not keep up with her. Apparently, once you get good with monofins, you can swim pretty darn fast with them! ❤️❤️
  3. @Nectaryne, I just had another thought (and not a sip of coffee yet, so you have been warned...): If you could find such a thing, you could take a scrap of matching or coordinating vegan leather, canvas, etc, and wrap that around the worn parts of the handle. You could KISS and fasten with strong stitching per my above post, using whip stitch rather than blanket stitch. Or, you could install a sturdy snap to close the wrap around the handle (not a sewn snap, a set-in-snap where you use a particular tool to put it in so that it is inserted into the material rather than being sewn on top). If you were feeling fancy, you could make longish strips of faux suede and using craft glue to fasten the ends down, wrap the handle from one end to the other: spiralling wrap of one to three different strips; braiding, etc. OR, if some geeky stuff is OK, you could unfasten one end of the worn strap, feed it through a clear acrylic tube (think aquarium tubing) until the entire handle is inside the tube, then trim the tube to size and remaster the end to the purse. (OK, so that one is Out There, but remember what I said regarding lack of coffee today....) I don’t know whether your straps are flat or rounded, so my ideas are kind of all over the place, sorry! Maybe one of the ideas will spark something else from someone else, or even give you an inspiration.
  4. I don’t know exactly which edges and what they look like, but if it is possible, you might want to consider working a blanket-stitch over the damaged areas, using heavy waxed cotton thread or something like that fake sinew stuff. You would have to poke holes with an awl or similar tool, but that part goes fast if you have a sharp awl. Not an expert on sewing with leather, but have done it a few times. Repaired boots/shoes and bags, that sort of thing.
  5. I just bought a few patterns from Sew Liberated. One of them was this very simple, very versatile tee-shirt sort of top. (I got a 20% discount as I signed up for their newsletter last month.) The other two patterns which I bought were: https://sewliberated.com/products/reversible-metamorphic-dress-pdf-sewing-pattern and https://sewliberated.com/products/clara-dress-sewing-pattern. I also considered this top, which can be done in a very super simple way or with a few pleats just for fun: https://sewliberated.com/products/aida. I have not personally made things from Sew Liberated’s patterns before, but have heard good things. And they have a 25% discount through midnight on May 31 if you use the code MEMADEMAY. The other pattern line I have heard some of my sewist friends up here swear by is Cashmerette, a line that says it specializes in clothing for women with curves. https://www.cashmerette.com/products/appleton-dress-pdf-pattern is a dress that a friend of mine loves so much that she has several of them in different fabrics/trims. That said: Favourite leggings pattern? I was just going to go the “trace a pair I love” route but I wouldn’t mind knowing if there was a better way to do this. I bought some fabric on sale today! White with black owl faces, adorned with a wee bit of sparkle. It’s very light, so I am thinking of making either the Clara dress or the Metamorphic, each of which would require lining the fabric in some way (I’m thinking plain white cotton, or maybe white cotton with a subtle tone-on-tone for the underlayer. I am also thinking of adding sleeves to the Metamorphic pattern. Sewing! So addictive. I spent two days re-sizing a super cute sheath dress of mine that no longer fits me so that it fit Ms. Melody. I put in two more front vertical darts and small one in back, and it fits her perfectly. Triumph!!
  6. until

    Oh, no! We’ll miss you! It’s funny how fast I’ve gotten used to looking forward to seeing folks on these chats. Have a productive, non-boring meeting at least!
  • Create New...